Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Friday, October 8, 2010

Changes: The Good and the Bad

Well, I guess I caught a few people's attention. Yes, things are changing. I had an interview on Tuesday and I received the job. I will be teaching again. Again, after 2 years away. This time I will be the reading teacher at a small school in the city we live in. So now the changes and adjustments begin.

I must say that I am excited about this new job. But it seems everyone else seems to be more excited than I am. I am not so sure how I feel about going back to teaching. I left my last job feeling so unsure about myself as a teacher so I'm not sure how being back will feel. I know I will do a great job but I'm not so sure I want to work again. From the first day we brought Colby home in Feb of 2009, I have been home with him. Just Colby and me. That is until this fall when he started preschool in the mornings. Now that we have adjusted and settled into that new routine we need to change again and Mommy will be gone all day. Not sure how Colby will handle that, nor how I will handle being away. I am so thankful that with all the schools in our city I landed in the school Mike's mom just left last year when she retired. So I know what to expect and already have a link to some of the staff. Now the trouble begins: Where does Colby go in the afternoon??? Since he is already in a morning program he can't be enrolled in an afternoon one through the city, but we need bussing so no programs out of the city. So a day care, not seem to have spots available. Ugh!!! I don't want to take him out of his preschool program, he loves it and since it is through the school system it is free. What do we do??? Thankfully for now, Mike's mom can watch him. Ugh! Now I remember why I don't like change.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Hey, Melissa! First off, forgive me for being MIA. It's been a rough few weeks but I'm hoping to get back on track. Sit back -- this may be lengthy!

First off, congrats on the job! From what I can tell from your last few posts in the last month, you've been having a hard time finding your niche -- your identity in this big 'ol world. You love being a SAHM but not sure you're "needed" if Colby is at school. And you're not sure if you want to go back to teaching ~ then you won't be there for Colby when he does need you.

You will *always* be needed by Colby. He's out exploring the world with other kiddos and learning so much as he socializes with them. It was soooo hard for ME when I put Kristina in pre-school. But I had to work. We need both incomes no matter what so I had no choice. It's been over a year that K's been in school and I still tear up sometimes after I drop her off. But I'm comforted knowing she's playing, socializing and learning while I work. It's nice for me to have another outlet - an area for me to excel in addition to motherhood (well, I'm trying my best at motherhood, not sure "excelling").

So I say -- give the teaching job a shot and perhaps you'll fall right back into a routine and find out you really enjoy it. You'll certainly really love the time with Colby at the end of the day as you both discuss all that you did. And the reunions are so wonderful!

Wish I could help with the daycare dilemma. K is in Pre-school full-time (7am - 5pm) and it kills me that she spends so much time there without me. But it's a good school (costs $$$, no free daycare/preschool by us!) and I know she is in good hands.

Keep us posted and stay positive. All will go great -- I just know it will!

Hugs,
Laura

Christine and Stephen said...

Melissa:

Congratulations on the job ... sounds like it could be great but it will take some time to adjust to the new routine!!! I know how much you have enjoyed being a SAHM ... it was never an option for us but when I went back to work it did take some time to find our routine and balance!!!

I agree with Laura ... you will always be needed by Colby .. I also find that since we both work and the boys are busy with school and day care that we really enjoy our weekends and take the most advantage we can for doing things as a family!!!

Good Luck ... I hope it all goes great!!! Call if you want to chat or vent away!!

Christine