Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Monday, December 14, 2009

Holiday Fun

Well, it seems my family shared more than just turkey this Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful day together and then everyone ended up sick. Someone started it and just about all of us got a cold, sinus infection, or something. Colby had a slight cough and runny nose but seemed to be ok. Mike and I have been battling a cough, sinus infection for just over a week. Mine was bad enough my teeth were hurting. My mom still has her cough but my brother Chris got it the worst. He ended up with pneumonia. So, we have been trying to get rest and get better. We are now on the mend.

We have also had a lot of holiday fun the past few weekends. We went to Mike's uncle's house to buy a Christmas tree on the 5th and decorated it. Even with not feeling great, we had fun. Colby is still amazed that a tree is in our family room. He loves the lights and the candy canes on the tree. He was so cute putting the ornaments on. I think one branch got 5 ornaments! He would try to hang them and if he missed the branch, the ornament would just fall. And there he left it!





Wednesday Colby and I went to visit with our friends Jill and Nicholas and Sharon and Sean. It was our first time to see Sean since he came home around Halloween. The three boys had a great time playing together and it was fun for the mommies too. We love getting together. We had lunch together and shared stories. Another friend from our adoption agency just came home from Russia with her two boys. Christine lives in NY, not far from here. I am hoping to get all 5 boys and the families together for dinner in January.






This past Friday we went to the mall to see Santa. Colby loves looking at pictures of Santa but I wasn't sure how he would do sitting on his lap. We waited in line and he watched other kids sit down. When we got up to Santa he said hi to him. Colby has really been fascinated with his shoes lately. So he had to show Santa his boots. Then I put him on Santa's lap. He shyed away but Santa asked him what he wanted for Christmas. I told him to tell Santa about Thomas the Train. Then he lit up and started talking. The photographer had a stuffed monkey he held up and that caught Colby's attention. We got a great photo! I hope to scan and download it soon. After that we went to Meriden to see the Christmas lights at Hubbard Park. They are all different animals lit with white lights. The also have a huge globe lit up. You drive through the park and see the lights. We also like to get out and walk around. Mike and I have gone there many times, it is something we like to do this time of year. But it was amazing to drive through the park and here Colby point out the different animals. We walked around a little but it was cold and very windy! But we had fun!

Yesterday we had our first family Christmas party. We went to Mike's parents to get together with Mike's mom's family. We had a wonderful lunch of lasagna, some great dessert, and a fun grab bag. I'm not sure if Colby liked the cars or the plastic tubing they came in better.

This weekend we will have our parents for dinner, bake some Christmas cookies, and watch some Christmas movies. I have truly loved teaching Colby all about Christmas, from the story of the birth of Jesus to the legend of Santa Claus. What an amazing holiday. No wonder it was my Poppy's favorite time of year. And mine too!

3 comments:

Mama Fish said...

Looks like your having a fun time at Christmas despite your colds etc. I have a cold too.... bummer. But, I love this time of year too much to let it set me back. Just figured out that Colby is just 6 months younger than Small Fry. :-)

Jenny said...

I am so glad Colby talked to Santa! What a memory! Merry Christmas!

Laura said...

How wonderful that all the boys can get together...and I can't wait to hear of Christine and Stephen joining you along with Max and Roman!

Glad to hear Colby took to Santa...now send some good vibes this way and we're hoping for a similar response this weekend (but not banking on it...Kristina already calls the lifesize fake Santa at school "scarey"). Not sure where she got the word but I know she knows the meaning!!

~Laura :)

P.S. Feel better!