We went to Yekaterinburg

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

More Happenings

The past two weeks certainly have had their ups and downs. It was a busy time here, both good and bad. We had the funeral and get together for Mamie on Thursday. Although it was a sad time, I did get to see many people that I haven't seen in a long time. And they finally got to meet Colby. We left him with my sister-in-law, Jocelyn, during the church service but then Mike brought him up to Mamie's house for the dinner.

Last Tuesday was my mom's birthday, age kept secret! On Monday night, most of my aunts and uncles, a few cousins, and my brothers, Mike, Colby, and I went out to dinner to celebrate. We went to "On the Border" a great Mexican restraunt. It was nice to get together again to just relax and have some fun. It was Colby's first experience with Mexican food and he loved it! He ate his whole dinner- soft taco, rice, and refried beans!

I have to admit that last Tuesday was not a pleasant day. Colby and I did call my mom to wish her a happy birthday. However, the rest of the day was awful. Colby was a little more mischievious that day, getting into everything. Spilled milk (a whole cup worth), toys everywhere, climbing in the closet and tearing it apart, and of course not wanting to go down for his nap. I was so tired and frustrated. Naptime became a crying fest. I broke down. I guess after a week of running around and keeping busy, by then it truly hit me that Mamie was gone. I laid down and just cried. Colby was crying because he was overtired but wouldn't nap and I was just crying. The one good thing, Colby stopped at one point and came over to me. He threw his arms around me and said, "Love you Mommy!" That snapped me out of it and we just hugged for a long time. Thankfully, Colby and I both calmed down and he went for a short nap. I tried to nap too.

Saturday we had two parties. My brothers and sisters and families all went to our parents' house to celebrate September birthdays. It was my sisters Kristin and Karin, my sister-in-law Jan, my nephew Alex, and my mom's birthdays. Wow! We went there for lunch. Then we all went to my Aunt Doone's house to celebrate my cousin Jason's wedding. He and Linda had a quite ceremony together at Mamie's house by her garden. Then everyone went to Aunt Doone's house for a picnic to celebrate. Colby had a great time at both parties playing with his cousins Max and Alex and many other kids. And we were able to get a good photo of Colby with his four cousins at Mom's house.

Yesterday the excitement continued! Mike came home around lunch time. I was trying to clean the front closet, with all my craft supplies and games (job to continue), Colby had finally gone down for his nap, and Mike was outside mowing the lawn. Next thing I knew, Mike came running in the house and said he was going to wake Colby up. I hadn't even heard the sirens. We hear them at least once a day so I guess I had tuned them out. Well, there was a small house fire about five houses down our street. We have a fire hydrant in front of our house so one fire truck parked right in front of us! There were about five trucks in all, a police car, ambulance, and lots of flashing lights. Colby was amazed! It took a minute for him to wake up but once he did his eyes opend wide! He wasn't sure where to look first. We walked down the street to check out the trucks. The fire was already out when we got there. Most of the firemen waved to Colby and a couple of them came over to say hi. Colby was even invited to sit in one of the firetrucks! He was awestruck I think. I asked him what he was doing and he just said, "Touching firetruck." Of course, after all the excitement he wouldn't go back for his nap and wouldn't relax. It was a tough night, throwing food and a broken glass included. I really enjoy seeing Colby experience new things but the excitement seems too much for him and he becomes overwhelmed.

So, now it is nap time and I finally have the chance to update my blog. Hopefully the rest of the week be calm. This Saturday we have another birthday party. Always something fun to do. I'd also like to bring Colby to a corn maze and there is a Halloween costume to buy. Busy, busy, busy!


Joy said...

I am so sorry to hear that your Mamie has passed. It is so hard losing someone who you love. I think all children skipped the Tuesday nap.

Laura said...

There is nothing more precious in the world than to have your child comfort YOU in a moment of stress.

And guys are on-the-go. I need a nap after reading your post as I felt just how busy you've been!!!

Take care, Melissa!

~Laura :)