Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Monday, February 21, 2011

Two Years Home

Today we celebrated our second Family Day. It was two years ago today that Mike and I brought Colby home and we began our life as a family. Many families celebrate Gotcha Day, the day that they picked up their child from the baby home or orphanage. Some celebrate the court date. We have decided to celebrate our Family Day as the day we were home and the adoption journey was truly over. We reached JFK Airport late at night and were greated by both Mike's and my parents. They were a sight for sore eyes. It had been a long trip home and almost a really long wait in the Immigration office. The office was really busy and there were stacks of papers waiting. Thankfully someone new came on and happened to pick up Colby's file and we didn't have to wait too long. I guess ours was pretty straight forward to get through. Then we walked through the doors and I almost collapsed into my mom's arms and started crying. I could finally let the emotions go. Colby did great going in the car seat for the first time and fell asleep for part of the ride home.But his eyes were wide open when we walked in the house and let him explore the house and his room. We were soon all fast asleep though.

Last year we had Colby's Baptism on this day. The timing worked out, although it was a coincidence. But today was rather laid back. Colby and I were home, since it was Presidents' Day. We went and had lunch with my mom at her work and then went shopping. We had a nice laid back day. Then I cooked chicken parm and spaghetti and we enjoyed a special treat- red velvet whoopie pies! Now I find myself looking forward to our next Family Day. What changes will we have by then???
June 2008 Feb 2009 Feb 2010 Feb 2011

3 comments:

Scott said...

Two years, wow! Does the second year goes as fast as the first? Our first seemed to go so fast.

Laura said...

I just can't believe it, Melissa...the time is going so fast and these kiddos of ours are growing up in front of our eyes.

I think it's such a special thing for APs to have. Not only a birthday to celebrate, but also a GOTCHA day --- because we all waited so long and the day represents our dreams coming true.

Congrats on GOTCHA Day II -- and hugs from all of us.

~Laura

Christine and Stephen said...

Sounds like the perfect way to spend the day!!! He has grown so much and time really does go by so quickly ... now if only the waiting between trip would have gone as quick!!!

Christine