Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Bit of a Bump

I'm not sure where to start today. I feel like I have hit a bump, or perhaps a wall. Work is going ok, although tomorrow we start the CT Mastery tests (grade 3 and up) and that is a huge deal. Lots of stress to "pass" as a school. Last year, the school's scores were very poor and I am feeling the burden to boost them up. We've just finished about 3 weeks of test prep. The kids did well but I can only hope we haven't burned them out. We'll see when we get the results around June or so.

On the home front, we are definitely feeling the results of a long, cold, snowy winter. Spring can't come any sooner. Colby's school schedule was so messed up with snow days of and late starts which result in no preschool but going to daycare all day. It has not been good. We've been back on track about 2 weeks or so and he is exhausted. I think he is also fighting a cold/cough. Not sure what. I battled with a high fever and stomach bug myself for a couple days. We NEED to get outside and run and have fun. Bring on the sunshine! Too bad it rained all day today.

Colby has also entered into what I can only hope is another phase. Please let it be a short one. He has become a little controlling and demanding. His good manners have all but disappeared. Eating has become a chore. Going to a store is worse. And he has gained a little smart mouth. He has even begun to ignore me when I ask him a question. I usually pick him up after school and on the ride home we would chat about his day. Not anymore! He actually said the other day, "I'm not talking to you. Turn up the music." I was crushed. He won't cuddle with me as much and he is just overall a bear. He told Mike today during his bath, "Go away. You two aren't listening to me."

I'm at a loss. He says nothing is bothering him. He says he's happy. But I'm not. Mike's not. Time outs don't work. Nothing seems to matter. Any thoughts? I can only hope that those "terrible twos" that didn't show up until he was 3 will be gone next month when he turns 4.

7 comments:

www.adventureswithaidan.org said...

Oh yeah. . .I called that the Tyrannical Threes. . .LOVE Four!!! Still has a bit of a smart mouth, but I can reason with him and he'll talk with me about things! Keep to your routine and things should even out again. . .God Bless!

Jenny said...

I have to say that three was the worst for Matthew. I thought he had gone crazy for a while. He came around, and so will Colby! Praying:)

Joy said...

I have noticed with Anna that if I work a lot her eye contact wither is way less. I as a teacher you have probably already thought about this but maybe it is something at school that is bothering him.

Anna has started crying when I drop her off and I found out that one of her favorite friends left and a new child arrived who has special needs and cries a lot.

I am sure this is a phase.
Joy

Christine and Stephen said...

Hang in there the warm weather is coming soon! We have had similar issues with Roman but ours have been on going and not just because he was 3 or 4. What I have found is that maturity wise Roman is 3 and NOT 4!!! This has been frustrating because he usually misbehaves more at school with his teacher ... she gets a lot of NO's ... I don't want to and the other day he just didn't want her to help him do anything!!!!! It's so frustrating but we are working on it at home ... honestly, we found it works with Roman to send him to his room when he is that way at home! In our house going to your room is a punsihment for him because there are no toys and we aren't there so he gets himself in check and when he returns we have a very, very different little boy!!! Since Max is so quick on his heels we are trying to nip the freshness as quickly as possible before we have two little "bosses"!

Think Spring!!
Christine

Laura said...

Our "angel" picks up alot of good things at school and not-so good things at school. One of the not-so good things is "Mommy, I'm not your friend" or "Daddy, you're not my friend" when she is mad at us, usually for reprimanding her.

It's her form of "control" and K always needs to feel in control. It takes lots of talking to, and looking in her eyes like Joy suggested, and taking away her favorite things to make her think about her actions.

Maybe we're going through the terrible twos since we're home 2 years??? Just stay consistent with routine, reprimands, and love and I'm sure Colby will grow out of this phase. And hopefully sooner than later! (And yes, a healthy dose of fresh air and sunshine will certainly help!)

Hugs,
Laura

Anonymous said...

I would like to echo that it sounds like he is feeling very out of control, and that his feelings are not being respected at school. Not much you can do about that, the school certainly isn't going to change how they interact with him. Maybe show him on a calendar when you'll be off of school, and talk about what a great summer you'll have together. I would also tell him how much you miss him during the day, and go on and on about how hard it is for you not to be with him. That makes kids feel so much better, to validate their feelings.
I hope he feels more secure soon - for all your sakes! :)

Victoria

Laura said...

Melissa: just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. It's been a few weeks since your last post and just hoping you're busy, busy, busy like things are on this end.

Hugs,
Laura