Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Plane Ride Last Year

On Jan 28, 2009 Mike and I were frantically making sure our bags were packed and everything we needed was in its place. Our Visas were set, 3 bags had been packed and repacked, new clothes had been washed, the few gifts bought, Misha was all set to stay at Mike's parents, and travel plans were all done. The day was so long. I just wanted to leave. Get the show on the road, or in the air I guess you could say. Mike's parents were driving us to the airport around 3. I was a bundle of nervous energy. I didn't really think this was going to happen. And to top it all off, it was raining, sleeting, snowing, all of the above. It was such a gloomy, yucky day. We did leave early for the airport just in case.

On our way, we stopped for an early dinner at Olive Garden. My absolute favorite restraunt. Mike and I knew it would be the last really good meal for a while. The trip would take awhile. It was the same flights that we had taken in June. Late night flight to Frankfurt, Germany with a 6 hour layover, then the flight into Yekaterinburg. We also knew, from a phone call just two days before that our plans had changed and we would be staying in Kamensk, right near the baby home so we expected the 2 hour drive there right away. Ugh! So I enjoyed my chicken alfredo pizza, salad, and breadsticks, and then we were on our way.

We used Mike's Dad's new GPS to get us to the airport. However, in setting it up, somehow I chose the "No tolls" route and we seemed to skirt around NYC, backtracking a lot. I was getting worried but we made it to the airport with time to spare. We said our goodbyes and then headed for security. No problems and then the wait. Unlike June, with its bright sunny weather, our plane was on time for Frankfurt. Interesting.....terrible weather, plane on time....beautiful weather and the plane was 2 hours late! I guess you just never know!

And so our final journey to Colby began. Amazing how far we have come since then.....

No comments: