Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I Think I'm Going Crazy!

This has certainly been a week of changes. Colby has really shown a lot of growth in many areas lately. His oral language development has blossomed and his receptive language still continues to amaze me. He has outgrown most of his shoes. We are just hoping to get through the summer and then I will buy him fall and winter shoes. I guess he'll need winter boots! When we went over to Russia to get him in January we brought 2 pairs of sneakers. They were the same sneakers but in sizes 6 and 7. He has, to my dismay, outgrown the size 6 and they are on a shelf in his closet. I don't think I will ever get rid of them. He has gone through 2 pairs of sandals and the second pair isn't fitting either. Yikes! And according to his charts, he has gained 3 pounds and 3 inches since he came home in late February!

So, with all those changes Mike and I decided it was time for more. Some might think Colby is still young, at only 28 months, but he has shown that he is ready. Last Wednesday, Colby and I went shopping for big boy "undies". He loves saying "Undies" and he looks so darn cute walking around the house in them! We are starting slow with Colby only wearing them when we are home. Thankfully it is summer so he often walks around the house in just his undies. Too cute, I definitely need a photo of that! Since Thursday he has had about 2 accidents each day. He seems to do well for half the day and then he gets forgetful if we go outside or he gets sidetracked by something else. Not bad so far but this Mommy gets frustrated at times. He does understand that he should go pee pee in the potty not in his undies and he gets upset when he is wet. We'll get there. We haven't tried naptime or bedtime. I'm a little worried about that, although during both naptime and last night he woke up and asked for the potty. He had already gone, but that's a start, right?

Undies and reading books. What's better than that?

Other changes. If potty training wasn't enough, Mike and I also decided it was time to change the crib into its big boy bed! Colby had started to try and climb out of the crib and his little legs have grown enough that they were starting to reach over the side of it. Yikes! So we had decided that as of August Colby would be a real big boy and sleep in his toddler bed. The first few nights went well. Colby was so uncertain about the crib on Friday night that he didn't budge and on Saturday we got home late from Lake Warmaug that he just crashed. However, since then, Colby has realized that he can get out of his bed and check on Mommy and Daddy. Naptimes have been the hardest with Colby staying awake and roaming for almost an hour before he crashes. So naptime has gone from 1-3 to more like 2-4.

From crib to big boy bed!

So, many changes. From my baby to my big boy. I love my big boy but I miss my baby at times. We missed so much but we are loving experiencing these changes with Colby. So, enjoy the photos of the changes from my little baby boy to my big boy!

5 comments:

Joy said...

I do think that you must be forced to keep those sneakers. I am very much the same way. My sister got rid of my nephews first pair and I dug them out of the box and saved them for him. One day I think he will like to see them.
Joy

Malissa said...

You only get the baby for a short time. They grow up so fast. He is such a big handsome boy.

Laura said...

Oh, Melissa -- they grow up so fast. Does Colby say anymore words in Russian? I still keep a few in our vocabulary on purpose ("good girl" and "I love you, my little one") because I want Kristina to know them when she's older. Otherwise, it's remarkable how fast they pick up EVERYTHING.

The big boy bed is just another step in the right direction. Great pics!

~Laura :)

Malissa said...

Oh and without a doubt, those are the cutest undies I have ever seen! :)

Jenny said...

They do change so fast! It's hard sometimes...like when you are changing the sheets...but try to enjoy each day and each new experience. Have a great weekend!