Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Friday, March 19, 2010

Sleep...

Well, we are still fighting the sleep demons. Colby just doesn't want to go to bed or most especially nap. I realize that many children age 3, which he will be next month, begin to decrease nap time. However, Colby without a nap is a bear. He doesn't go to sleep any earlier without a nap and from 6-8 at night he is miserable those days. The only difference is that without a nap, he does go to sleep quicker than days he has a nap.

Yes, I admit, I do watch Supernanny and I loved Nanny 911. I like to see how she handles sleep issues. We do have the set routine with bath, book, etc. Usually Colby wants Mike to sit with him. That's fine. However, we can't sit with him forever. He doesn't fall asleep right away and starts to fuss if we get up. The usual routine, Mike reminds Colby he will only sit for a couple songs (Yes, we have the radio on. Colby likes it. I think it gives him the noise he is used to from the baby home). They listen to the songs with Colby in bed and Mike on the floor. After the two songs, Mike goes to leave. Not too long after, we hear the pitter patter of little feet and out pops Colby. He doesn't cry or make any noise. He just stands there. Mike and I then take turns walking him back to bed without talking to him. This can go on and on for at least 30-40 minutes. One night it went almost an hour. I just don't know what else to do. I miss the crib! I'm not sure if he misses our company, is just being a brat or what. The sleep issue started right before the holidays when it started to get dark out sooner. I can only hope it will end now that it is staying lighter out.

And nap is hit or miss. Yesterday he fussed and yelled and refused to stay in bed. Today, he finished lunch, put one of his stuffed animals down for a nap, and put himself to bed. Granted now he is reading a book but I can handle that. As long as he rests. What can we do? Any suggestions? Ugh! I hate nap and bed time!!!!

Ok...so I wrote this a little too quickly. Colby just fell asleep for his nap. Yes, he put himself in bed and I sat with him for 2 songs. Then we started with the getting up routine. He decided to read books and play with his toys instead of rest, even though I left him with a few books. After an hour I put him in a boring corner and told him if he wanted to stay up he could sit there. After a little crying I watched as his head started to droop. Yup, asleep in the corner. I just carried him to bed. Ugh!

4 comments:

Emanuela said...

Hi Melissa,

we have had sleep issues all throughout but they were worse -- sorry -- around 3 yrs old (our son is now 4) and are now much better. Night is now OK (almost always 11 hours of peaceful sleep) and naps/rest time are OK at home (not really needed for sleep, though) but usually difficult at preschool.

Random things that helped:
- routine (never, never changes)

- walking gently our son back to bed without saying anything, possibly the shortest way (for a short period we would just sit outside of his door and not let him wonder the halls) and super super boring (my husband had perfected the slowest walk ever).

- putting him back to bed with minimal interactions and putting his arms around his lovey. If words were needed (if he seemed upset or scared) we would tell him that we were there to make him confortable and always close, but putting himself to sleep was his job and that he could do it.

- nightlight. This one was essential, w/o it our son would get disoriented and scared once he woke up in the middle of the night. We bought a nightlight on a timer. It is a blue moon at night and a yellow sun in the morning. It is pretty cool because it became his clock, since colors are easy to read. We take it on vacation too.

- poster of sleep rules: worked for a little while but shortly it just became a reminder to follow sleep rules (not too many words needed to describe them).

- A calendar in his room where he could put a nice sticker when he did follow sleep rules (amazingly that still works on an off).

- Lots of positive reinforcement. Tough nights do not get discussed.

Things are better but approching sleep is still one of the most anxiety-provoking parts of the day. Any conflict/fear/anxiety of the day will also surface then, and understanbly so.

All the best to you,
E.

PS: on a light note (and a proof that boredom techniques vary with age): our friend's daughter started to wake up and refuse to go to sleep again around 7 yrs of age asking to watch TV with him instead. My friend told her she could watch what he was watching, namely an 11PM political debate/talk show with him. After 2 days she went back to sleep. But do not try that now!

Malissa said...

Oh, we still fight sleep. At 10:15 last night, Anna pops out and says mommy you forgot to give me my 15th hug!

I have discovered that she needs time in her bed to wind down. Books are good. She also likes to see that I walk by to check on her.

Good Luck!

Mama Fish said...

I wish I had something to suggest. Small Fry rarely takes a nap anymore. He goes right out at 8:15pm though.

I am thankful he goes right to sleep because with dh gone all week I know I would have a hard time just from being so worn out by the end of the week.

I like Emanuela's suggestions.

Joy said...

As I sit here with a little bear who will not go to sleep I just wanted to say I am thinking about you.
Joy