Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Happy Birthday Mike

Today is Mike's birthday. We had a rather quiet day. After running a couple errands, we went to get a sandwich for lunch. Then we took Misha for a long walk at White Memorial. It is an animal sanctuary with a museum and lots of walking trails in the woods. We went to a different area than we have been before and walked along a fairly big pond just enjoying the different colors in the trees. Fall is definitely here. I love the dark yellowy, orange colors in the leaves. Then tonight Mike's parents brought us to TGI Friday's for dinner. I guess it is also Jocelyn's birthday. She is David's (Mike's brother) wife. I am not sure the exact date. Now Mike and Misha are snoozing on the couch as I play computer games and check up on the other blogs I love to read. I guess it is just another day.

We did get an email from the agency on Friday, but it wasn't anything important. I guess Svetlana (the coordinator in Yekaterinburg for our agency) needs another copy of the power of attorney paper. I am not sure why but we had to print it out and bring it to the bank this morning to get it notarized. That was the easy part. Now we need to wait for the goverment to open up on Tuesday to get it apostilled. It stinks because only the one place in Hartford can apostille papers and they take forever. I have brought a couple papers there myself but they don't like to rush through apostilles. I think my sob story worked to get them done, otherwise you need to send them through the mail and wait about a week to get them back. Goverment at its finest..... I don't think we can get to Hartford on Tuesday so I will have to overnight it and just wait. YUCK! I hate waiting.

Other than that, no news. I am slowly resigning myself to the fact that the holidays will not be fun. That the government in Russia will close for their holidays in January. And that I will not see my lovely little boy until at the earliest, perhaps February but most likely March. Once the government opens up again, the judge will want updates on paperwork so that will take most of February. Boy I hope I am wrong but that is what I think will happen. We just better get back before Colby turns 2 in April. Otherwise, I will go back anyway.

Ok, enough of the negative attitude. It was a hard day today knowing that I couldn't give Mike what he really wanted, that phone call from Russia. Hopefully good news will come soon.

1 comment:

lh said...

Hi Melissa,

We're getting settled in and I wanted to send a "hang in there" note. It's so painful reading your blog because I know exactly where you are and how you feel in this process. I caught a glimps of the mail judge while waiting for my court and he looks very friendly and very young. Tall & thin. I hear he is much easier on people and, even with the woman judges reputation and the nasty things she said to me, she wasn't even that bad.

Olga was mentioning some paperwork delays with other families - Apostilles were wrong and nobody caught it. This caused a couple more weeks of delays as I understand it so PLEASE check every detail before sending anything off. The agencies make mistakes, the notaries make mistakes and the secretary of state makes mistakes! The judge doesn't care whose mistakes they are so ultimately you can only trust yourself to make sure they are accurate. My doctor misspelled my daughters name in one spot but spelled in correctly in about 5 others - the letter was rejected and caused a delay! You'd think the translators would just do it right but I guess they could get in trouble.

Hang in there - it's an unbearable wait but it will happen. I think the hopeful expectations are the worst so just keep expecting problems and delays then you'll be so happy when it finally happens!

Also, please email me separately your address so I can get the adaptors to you!

Take care and enjoy your freedom! Thanks for all your support during my ordeal. I'll send updates soon.

Lori