Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Milk, Snuggles, and A Happy Birthday

I am so thankful for all of the kind words and wonderful words of encouragement from all of you. It means so much to know that other people do understand my feelings and have gone through the same things that Mike and I are going through now. Someone had asked about giving Colby milk and if the orphanages give the children milk. I don't think Colby ever had milk. When we fed him he always had a little mug of juice or tea which he drank up quite quickly. We did feed him snack on day and he had a mug of something that looked a little like milk but was more creamy. More like a runny yogurt type of drink. I think they call it kefir. Mike and I stuck with juice in Russia but after a couple days home we started giving him whole milk, mainly at breakfast and right before bed. He doesn't drink much of it but he seems to like it. Otherwise we drink lots of juice, mostly apple although we are introducing other flavors. He really likes the Srtawberry-Kiwi. We haven't tried orange yet.

To update on our snuggles: We have had great days lately. I'm not sure what has caused the change but beginning yesterday Colby has been more snuggly, almost clingy. I really hope that it isn't due to a cold coming on. Perhaps his teeth are bothering him. He is cutting 4 teeth right now. I certainly haven't minded the snuggles at all. Last night Colby cuddled with me in our lounge chair as Mike and I watched American Idol. He wasn't laying down to sleep so I snuggled with him there. He fell asleep after a little while and I just held him, for almost the whole 2 hour show. What could be better than having a sleeping child in your arms? What a great feeling. Mike and I have also encouraged Colby to give more hugs and kisses. He loves to blow kisses so we do that often. We have also started hugging and kissing eachother more in front of Colby so he can see what it means to love someone. He thinks it is funny. He gets a huge smile on his face when we hug and starts giggling. It is really cute.

Yesterday Colby and I had a great day visiting with Mamie and Aunt Doone (my grandmother and my aunt Lorna). Mamie had already seen Colby the day after we came home but Anut Doone had yet to see him. Aunt Doone and I are really close. She also adopted her 3 children so she can understand how I feel. I wanted Colby to meet her before we go for the big party on Saturday. Mamie is turning 90! The whole family is getting together and that means over 40 people. My mom has a big family and I love it but it just might overwhelm Colby. I wanted him to get used to Mamie's house and see my aunt so he knows a few people when we get there. Well, they hit it off. Colby loved Mamie's house and all the things that little fingers can get into trouble touching. Aunt Doone loved playing with him and it was a wonderful day. Unknowingly, I had forgotten that it was Aunt Doone's birthday yesterday. I remembered later. She was so happy and I am glad that I could give her such a great birthday. Colby even gave Mamie and Aunt Doone a hug goodbye all by himself. He just toddled over and threw himself in Aunt Doone's arms first to get a hug. Then to Mamie. It was so amazing, I almost cried again. Tears of joy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet!!!

Joy said...

I am so glad that things are moving along in the right direction.
Joy

Nicole Brueck said...

So glad things are going well. It surely is an adjustment isn't it?
Ryan is just starting to drink milk again after boycotting it after he went off the bottle. I believe the Kehr involved milk, sugar and coffee combined. At least that is what our list said from the orphanage.

Beth said...

Just wanted to say congrats on having Colby home. Our oldest (now 4.5, adopted at 15 months) is from Ekaterinburg. I will always have a very special place in my heart for Ekaterinburg. So glad your son is adjusting well - enjoy every moment!

Anonymous said...

I just had to reach out because I came across your blog and it just sounds too much like our life. We also used Wide Horizons and adopted our twin boys from Kamensk-Baby Home #2. Alex and Andrew Came home a year ago in December. We love Svet and the Vica crew. I hope all is going well. Our boys are doing fantastic and so loving and happy. Best wishes to you and the fam.

Best,

Elizabeth
glossyglam@verizon.net

junglemama said...

I am so glad to read that things are going better. You sound like a great Mom!