Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Monday, March 2, 2009

Pulling Hair

We have been home now just over a week. What a week it has been. What an amazing week of ups and downs, twists and turns. A week of pulling hair.

The past few days have not been easy ones. I think Colby is starting to settle in and has started testing our boundaries. Nothing very drastic but he does throw a great temper tantrum dropping to the floor and crying big crocodile tears. He also bangs his head against things which I think is an orphanage learned behavior. The thing that has upset me the most though is that Colby has begun pushing me away. He pushes both Mike and I away at times but within the past 3 days Colby has started pushing me away more and more. Right from the beginning COlby enjoyed snuggling with me, especially at bedtime and naptime. He would fall asleep in my arms as I rocked him. It was the sweetest thing. However, now he seems to want Mike more or even just to be left alone. I'm not sure why this has changed, but I miss my cuddles. It has really upset me at times, Sunday being the worst. I admit I do get frustrated with his screaming and tears, and being pushed away or even hit really hurts. I just don't know what to do and that makes me want to cry and pull my hair out in frustration.

Ok, that's the down. I guess I needed to moan a little but I must say that overall things have been wonderful. Colby has really enjoyed his new home. He is growing so much everyday. I love his dimples when he smiles and his laugh will melt anyone's heart. I think he is the cutest though when he starts to dance. He loves all kinds of music. His Poppy (Mike's grandfather) played polka for him when we went to visit last Friday. He smiled from ear to ear and waved his hands. He likes to point his fingers and wave his hands up and down. He almost looks like an orchestra conductor. He keeps a good rhythm too. I have tried to get a photo but he stops everytime to smile and the camera. Maybe I'll catch one soon.

Everyday Colby seems to learn new things. This weekend his new thing was blowing kisses. Colby has always enjoyed waving "baka" or bye bye. Now he waves both hello and goodbye but has also started to blow kisses. It is the cutest thing when he puts his hand on his cheek and smacks his lips. So cute. He has also learned to "shush" the dog. He puts his finger near his lips and "says" sh, sort of like blowing a raspberry.

But my most favorite part of being a mommy is holding my little man, when he will let me, and rocking him to sleep. When he gets sleepy or when he needs comfort, Colby wraps one arm around my neck and plays with my hair. He lightly pulls at my hair twisting it in his little fingers. That small gesture warms my heart and makes happy tears sparkle in my eyes. Whoever thought that someone pulling my hair would be a good thing?

8 comments:

Mama Fish said...

Hi Melissa,
I found your blog from Kim A's the Littlest Tsarina. I just want to encourage you that I'm sure it's fear that has Colby pushing you away. We went through such similar things with our son (home 2 months now). Our little guy is still very strong willed, but some of the behaviors that push us away have greatly diminished. You can check out my blog at www.stepbystep2russia.blogspot.com Feel free to email me anytime (it's on the blog). Hang in there it will get better!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Melissa,

The first few weeks home are still a complete blur to me. What I thought was great (and even frustrating) then was just the beginning. It's gets so much better everyday. Our daughter has never let me rock her for very long, and the only time she fell asleep in my arms was in the orphanage, but she shows affection in other ways. (She pulls/twirls hair too - love it!) Meet Colby where he is emotionally and keep being consistent with your love and expectations. The most important thing is that he's home where he belongs with wonderful parents to love him forever!

Joy said...

I am sure that you will get your snuggle bug back soon. Just remember that this must me a big shock to him.
Joy

Anonymous said...

Melissa, this is so common! We went through this when we came home with our son 3 1/2 years ago. It took a lot of time and understanding (which was trerally hard for me) but now Seth comes to ME and wants ME when he is tired, hurt, sad, happy, etc. I had many tearful days and many calls to our SW but it will get better. Its hard too because not only is he making this huge adjustment but he's TWO. Enough sais! :)

We went to Ekat too through WHFC. If you ever want to chat please e-mail me: jennylu45@hotmail.com.

Jen

Tiger & Kar said...

Hi Melissa,
I'm not entirely certain how I navigated my way to your blog (perhaps thru Littlest Tsarina). Anyway, I just wanted to offer you a little encouragement and support.

Our son came home from Moscow on May 31, 2008. The first few weeks/months are still a blur, but we went through similar times where either me or my husband were nonexistant in our son's world. When this happened, the person who was nonexistant showered that much more love and attention on our son. I'm no expert, but it almost seemed as if he needed the reassurance that no matter what he did, how he acted, how many times he pushed us away, we would always be there to give hugs, kisses and snuggles.

He has now been home 9 months and is a completely different little boy. He's always been happy but we can tell he is secure in his home, that he feels safe and loved. Hang in there because it definitely gets better!!

Best wishes, Kar

Anonymous said...

My son banged his head when he first came home from Russia last year. He was two and it lasted about a week until he did it on the cement floor in the basement. He was fine and never did it again. While disturbing to watch, it resolves itself fairly quickly. This is very common behavior for institutionalized children, especially boys. Hang in there, it will pass.

junglemama said...

Hi Melissa! You have to change your "about me" now! As far as Colby pushing you away, Dennis did the same thing. Make it a game. Tickle him as you grab him back and give him a bear hug. Let him go at the same time he pulls away and play this game over with him. Stay in charge. Be the Mom. He is your child and you love him and when he realizes that he will no longer pull away. Play peekaboo-- talk baby talk--- pretend your hand is alittle spider crawling on the ground that is going to get him and lightly tickle his leg. Play, play, play. Bath with him. Shower with him. Share a bowl of ice-cream with him. Take him for walks in the stroller. Just my opinion, but I think this will pass. It is a good sing that he is bonding with your husband-- my Dennis did this to at first. AMke sure that he sees your husband loving on you with lots of hugs and kisses. This will make your son feel secure and want to hug and kiss on you. This is what I would do if I were you.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering .. from reading other blogs.. do they not give the babies milk? I noitce tea and was wondering ..