Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Friday, February 26, 2010

Favorite Photo, An Update, and A Question to Ponder


Well, here it is. Colby has now been home just over a year. We had a wonderful celebration on Sunday with his Baptism. I can't believe a year has come and gone. Before he came home, time seemed to be standing still. I can remember willing the days to just finish, going to bed early just to end the wait, and trying to keep busy so I wouldn't think about things. Now I enjoy every moment I can, I try to get to bed eary still but only because a two year old can really wipe me out, and I try to be not busy but there are so many things to do. Things have certainly changed.


Colby has really become such a big boy. He has grown 4 1/2 inches and is now 3 feet and 1/2 inch tall. He has also gained 7 pounds to now weigh 30 pounds. Definitely a workout to carry him! When I look at the early photos, I can see the change in him also. He has lost those little chubby baby boy cheeks and now looks so grown up. His eyes still sparkle and his smile and laugh truly light up a room. He has become very independent, going potty all by himself. He now dresses himself, with just a little help, when he wants to. The trouble: he is very determined and strong willed. He will do things when he wants to and definitely will speak his mind to you. We do have a battle of the Taurus bulls! His language skills completely amaze me. His expressive vocabulary is beyond what I could imagine. He seems to love learning new words and repeats everything he hears. And he loves to build with his blocks and make puzzles. Everything seems to spark his new found imagination. I haven't found much that he doesn't like. Right now he asks often to watch "curlin", hockey, skiin, and "nowboardin". Yes, we have been watching a lot of Olymipcs and Colby sits in amazement as he watches the skiers and snowboarders flip and twist. He tells me "Colby do that after later"! Oh boy!

So, I began this blog when we returned from our first trip to Ekat, Russia. That was back in June of 2008. I am truly in awe of where we have come since then. My life has changed so much and I am so thankful to everyone for all of their help. Through this blog I have "met" such amazing people and have been fortunate to share in their adoption journies as well. I hope that others have been reading this and that it has helped or changed them in some way. That was my intention. Now, as I sit here today, I ask myself the question that my husband has asked me before. "How long will I keep this blog?" The answer, I just don't know. I hope that people enjoy reading it. I enjoy writing it but I often find it difficult to find the time to write. Thankfully the little man decided he wanted his nap today! I have noticed a decrease in numbers and comments. So, I will ask you all:

Should I keep this blog? Will it be read and enjoyed? I will keep it up so others can read about our journey, and it will be my link to my fellow blog friends, I still enjoy reading your updates and seeing new photos. But should I keep updating it? Leave your comments and let me know. Thanks! This blogger community truly helped me through some difficult moments waiting to being Colby home. I only hope I can return the favor in some way too.

7 comments:

Lindsey Carney said...

Of course I think you should, I love reading the updates and having others that are sharing many of the same experiences we have and are.

Anonymous said...

Please continue.. I so enjoy reading your blog..myu daughter also adopted from Russia and I truly love to see how Colby has grown. Please continue

Michelle said...

how fitting that Colby came from Russia - in that picture, he looks EXACTLY like Tsarevich Alexei in one of the more popular pictures of him.

Jenny said...

I love reading and would be sad if you quit!!!

Malissa said...

YES, please continue to blog. I love hearing all about Colby and your family.

I don't update my blog as much as I did before Anna came home 3 years ago, but it is great way to document the "big things, funny things etc". So please keep it up.

Maybe someday Colby will have a brother or sister...???

Laura said...

Ditto, ditto, dear Melissa. I would miss dearly seeing how Colby is doing. I have the same dilemma as I want to turn Kristina's blog into a book. I'll keep blogging until her one-year anniversary of GOTCHA Day and then perhaps shut it down or atleast print the blog up to that point and continue. Just not sure yet...

Great pics!

~Laura :)

Scott & Tammi said...

I think you should! I turned our blog into a book after one year home and it is so wonderful! I plan to do it for at least one more year as Nicholas' sister will be coming home soon and I want her to have a book too!