Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Friday, June 11, 2010

A Little Bit of Everything

It certainly has been an eventful week. I went and signed Colby up for swimming lessons through the town PAL (Police Athletic League) program. He'll start June 22 and go Tues and Wed afternoons for half an hour each day. I think they will help to lessen Mommy's anxiety around water anyway. Colby is almost fearless with water. He has always loved his bath and the first time he saw a pool he jumped right in. The same with the ocean, he walked right in up to his neck. At least he'll take a few lessons and hopefully learn how to keep himself afloat and swim.

This week we also gave up our dog Misha. She is a 90 pound black lab. Sweet as can be but full of energy. She loves people, especially kids and that became the problem. She would jump up on them. The neighbors kids were scared of her and Mike was worried something might happen. It isn't fair to keep her cooped up inside when they come over. Also, we hope to get away camping this summer and go to my parents' house in New Hampshire and we can't bring her. She really needs to be on a farm where she can herd animals, not kids. She was starting to nip our heels to "herd" us. So, Mike called the SPCA where we had gotten her and they have found her a new home. Hopefully it was the right thing to do. I don't know. I didn't want to do it. I really miss her. But I guess it is for the best.

This weekend we have a birthday party for my nephew Keith. He is just 2 months younger than Colby. The boys love playing together and there will be lots of other kids there. It should be really fun.

And on the potty front: Colby has been in undies for months now, with no issues! What a big boy. He loves his Mater and Race Car undies. The only time he wears Pull Ups is at night, for bed. I really wasn't sure how to handle night time. Colby is a real sound sleeper. He has slept through the past couple bad thunderstorms. But every night this week, he has woken up at night, asking to go potty or for us to fix his blankey. Thankfully, the door is on Mike's side of the bed! So we are getting woken up but Colby is staying dry all night! WOW! Now, when will he learn to go potty on his own and not wake up Mommy and Daddy?? I really am proud of our big boy!

Finally, it has been just over a month with Colby wearing his glasses. Thankfully he is very good about them, wearing them all the time. He sometimes forgets after nap but then he'll remember. Our last eye doctor visit the doctor asked us to patch his good eye to help the left eye get stronger. That has been a struggle and Colby really can't see well when we do it, but he is keeping the patch on for about 20-30 minutes a day. We head back to the eye doctor mid-July. We'll see if it has helped. I really hope so. However today, Colby and I were running a couple errands, post office and to Staples, and when we got home: NO LENS! He popped a lens out of his glasses already! And I have no idea where it is. Thankfully the glasses are getting fixed but no glasses for a few days. UGH!

I promise photos next time. My mom sent a few cute ones of Colby and Grandpa at the air show from a couple weekends ago. And I'm sure we'll have some from the party tomorrow!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I want to get rid of our dog so badly, so I know it's a load off your mind. Hope the patch is helping. Have a great weekend!

Malissa said...

I wonder what it is with our kids and fearlessness? Anna is not afraid of water or most anything for that matter.

Laura said...

I have to echo Malissa. I guess when you're from Ekat...nothing is unsurmoutable! Like Anna and Colby and a few other Ekat kids -- Kristina has no fear of heights, water, anything. Something we all must keep an eye on...

So sorry about your doggy... :(

Hugs,
Laura

Joy said...

I know you must me sad about your dog but I think you made the right decision for what it is worth. I could not imagine having to keep track on one more thing. I can not wait to see the pictures!
Joy