Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Getting There....With Paperwork

Well, I can't believe how long it can take to update just a few documents. I realize we were given a list of 24 documents that the judge wants, but that was about 3 weeks ago. I still haven't collected them all. Last week was torture trying to get a couple of them. On Wednesday I called Ohio to see if they had sent my mortgage letter back apostilled. It seems that they LOST my document and were looking for it. However, I did receive our FBI background checks and the letters from Mass back. The car loan document came back from Nebraska as well. However, they DID NOT apostille it. It seems that whoever notarized the document doesn't know how to do her job and notarized it incorrectly so the Secretary of State's office refused to apostille it. The document was thus worthless. I called the Sec of State's office for explanation and got no where. They suggested I call Ford for a new document. After about 30 min on hold and bounced from one person to another, I was at wits end. I was then transfered to a nice guy in Florida who helped me. He said he would be able to write the letter and get it notarized correctly from Florida. I asked that he overnight it, and he said he would have to check with his supervisor. So, that was Wed.

On Thursday, I called Ford in Florida and they said the document was just noratirzed and put in UPS overnight. Thank goodness. That was happy news. Unfortunately, Ohio was not with our mortgage letter. When I called them, I was transfered to the administrator in charge of that area. It seems, whoever signed for the document on Tues decided to put it into the business office's mail, and they get a lot of mail. It was "misplaced" so she said. I told her she LOST it and asked what she thought I should do. She suggested I call Chase for a new mortgage letter. I said no becuase I had already spent $60 to get this one and FedEx it first to Franklin county for a county verification and then FedEx from there across town to the Sec of State's office, along with the two different fees. Besides, she would probably lose that one too. She had nothing else to say. I told her she better find my document because she had just ruined my Christmas and I not so nicely hung up on her. I was devistated. She called back about 10 minutes letter saying that she had sent 3-4 more people to search for the document and they had miraculously found it. Surprise, surprise. So, I finally got that document back on Friday. She is so lucky.

To update, right now I have 19 documents coming to me from Hartford, which should be all set, apostille and everything. The 2 Mass documents and the mortgage letter apostilled in Ohio are all done and copied. We are waiting on Florida to apostille the letter from Ford. That might be the document which holds us up. I have to call them and beg them to apostille it right away. The website says that it can take up to 5 business days. That would bring us past our Fri 12/12 deadline for the adoption agency. The last document, the letter verifying our CPA's license came on Friday. I will bring it to Hartford tomorrow to get apostilled and that will be all set. I am only worrying about this letter from Ford. I hope that they understand and apostille it right away. Even if they send it to me tomorrow, I will get it on Tues and the agency will get everything on Wed. I guess we need to wait and see, phone and beg someone for there understanding. Keep your fingers crossed......

4 comments:

Laura said...

Hearing what your judge wants you to change/re-do/revise makes me only wonder what our judge (the "lady") will want. Yikes ~ I'm gettin' nervous! The only strategy is just to take it all in stride, day by day, document by document...right?

Hang in there, Melissa!

~Laura

lh said...

What painful memories this brings up - but that's all they are now and that's all they will be for you soon!

Joy said...

Oh I hope and pray that Ford comes through for you. I hope once your documents come to you they are sent to the judge with the speed of light.

Thank you so much for all your positive comments on my blog. you have no idea how much they mean to me.

Joy

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed!
Amy Eckman