Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Busy Week

I can't believe I haven't had the chance to update my blog in over a week. Then again, we have been quite busy around here. So, I warn you, this is a long update. After babysitting my nephew Keith, Mike and I took the time to do some Spring cleaning. We organized some paperwork and just about completed our taxes. Last year, we had our taxes done and our rebate back by now. Yikes! I am so far behind. We have also started planning Colby's 2nd birthday party. With such big families, I'm not sure what we will do. One party or two?

Last Saturday we took Colby to my parents' house. He hadn't been there yet and my dad hasn't seen Colby much so we stopped in to say hello. We ended up bringing my mom to visit her mother, Mamie. Mamie now lives with my Aunt Linda and Uncle Brian. Their daughter Heather also lives there with her son Corbin. Corbin is now 8 and a sweetheart. He always has a hug and kiss for me and a high five for Mike. He was so excited to see Colby. After we brought Mamie out to lunch at Friendly's Corbin wanted Colby to play with him outside on his swingset. It has 3 different slides and 2 towers to climb up. Everyone went outside and the boys had a blast. My mom and Mamie enjoyed the swings and Mike and I took turns sliding with Colby down the big slide. Corbin also took Colby down the slide. He and Colby played really well together. Mamie then surprised everyone by climbing up and going down the big slide! She looked so cute. I couldn't believe she did it. Luckily Aunt Linda loves to take photos, like I do, and she took some great ones. She promised to give me a CD of them so when I get them, I'll be sure to post some great pics! We had to leave then because it was way after naptime and Colby was getting tired. After a nap and some more outside time with Daddy at home, we were asked to go out to eat with Mike's parents. Mike's dad had built a rocking horse for Colby and he gave it to him today. It was going to be for his birthday or Easter but he couldn't wait to see Colby play with it. THe horse came out great and Colby loves it. What a busy day.

On Sunday Mike brought Colby to his grandparents' house. They live just down the street, night near Mike's parents. His grandfather, Poppy, loves seeing Colby. They played together in the morning and of course, Poppy gave him jellybeans. Poppy loves jellybeans. In the afternoon, Mike went to Lowe's to buy Colby's new swingset. His grandparents and a couple of his aunts wanted to buy it for Colby and so on Sunday we decided which one. Unfortunately it was raining so the swingset would have to wait to get put up.

The terrible part of the weekend is that I was REALLY sick. I have no idea what hit me but I fought off a 101 degree fever, really bad sore throat, cough, and even the upset stomach. Luckily I was ok while visiting with my family but by Sat night I felt terrible. Thankfully it was the weekend and Mike was home to look after Colby. I am still not 100% but I am on the mend. No more fever, YEAH!

Monday brought us to Yale Children's Hospital to the Adoption Clinic. Our pediatrician and Wide Horizons recommended having Colby be seen by someone in the medical field familiar with International Adoption. Colby did very well, even when they took the blood for his blood tests. What a big boy. I am so happy that Mike was able to take the morning off from work to go with me. I was still feeling crummy and we supported eachother through it. Thankfully everything looks great and it seems Colby grew about half an inch and gained about a pound. We are now at 33 inches tall and 24 pounds. No big issues. YEAH!

Tuesday brought the first really bright sunny, warm day and Colby and I went with Mike's Aunt Jo to a park nearby. Colby enjoyed going down all the slides and playing with the other kids. We brought lunch and walked down the hiking path to a waterfall to eat. Another late nap but Colby had a blast and when we woke freom his nap he was surprised by his own playset almost ready for him. It is up and working but not yet set in the ground. He LOVES it! It is a small set with one platform to a slide and 2 swings and a bar swing. My parents had an airplane shaped toddler swing that we put up and it is perfect for Colby. I'm not sure if he likes the swing or the slide better.

So, much happening here. Hopefully I will be completely better soon. This weekend we need to go shopping for Easter and a birthday party looms. So much to do! And we are enjoying every moment with our little man.

2 comments:

Joy said...

We are up in the air about whether or not to put a swing set in the back yard.

We have a park within walking distance of the house so I do not know. I bet we end up with one.

Feel better,
Joy

Laura said...

Melissa: Glad to hear you're feeling better and on the mend. How exciting it must be to have your little man with you at family events -- a dream come true!

Looking forward to pics...especially Colby and Mamie going down the slide!!

~Laura :)