Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Is It A Daw or an "Ee Aw"?

Well, our Memorial Day weekend was very busy. We started off with a nice dinner at my sister Kristin's house. My sister Karin and her family came up from NYC for a short visit and we all had a cookout at Kristin and Steve's. It was nice for Colby to have some time with his cousins. Karin and her boys hadn't seen Colby since Easter and Jeff (her husband) hadn't since Colby yet. He wasn't able to come up at Easter. They gave Colby his birthday present, the boys all rode bikes, and everyone had a great time. That was on Friday night.

Sunday we started with a haircut at my Aunt Jackie's for Colby and a visit with Mamie. After a quick lunch, we headed to the parade in Woodbury. I wasn't sure how Colby would do but he did great. Not only was the parade at nap time, but Colby hadn't seen the horse carriages before. I didn't know if he would sit in it for the parade. But he did! He did so well. He loved waving at everyone and everyone thought he and Corbin (my cousin Heather's boy) looked so cute. Corbin was "driving" the carriage hooked up to a miniature horse. Mike and I walked alongside and my Aunt Doone actually led the horse. The horses are my Aunt Doone's. They are adorable. When Colby saw Morning Star, a real small brown and white paint, he actually called it a "daw" or dog. Morning Star is not much taller than our dog Misha. I told Colby he wasn't a Dog but a horse. Colby then said, "Ee Aw? Nope!" He calls all horses, donkeys, etc. "EeAws". He has an Eeyore at home so I guess all animals that look like that are "Ee aws, or eeyores. Way too cute!

After the parade we went to my Aunt Doone's house for steaks on the grill. Colby was able to play with my cousin Jason's little boy Jayden. He will be one in Sept. And of course, Colby loved chasing the dogs around the house, especially the little one. It was a busy day for our little man and without a nap too. But he did a great job. I am very proud of him. Since he enjoyed the parade so much, we decided to try the Naugatuck parade the next morning, Memorial Day. It is one of the biggest parades in CT. Big, long, and loud!
We had to wake Colby up in the morning and head to Naugatuck early. The parade started at 9:15. Colby hopped right in the carriage and started waving at everyone. At one point he actually stood up and clapped yelling "Yeah!". I think we have a future politician on our hands. What a ham! He loved all of the attention. The parade wasn't over until about 10:30-11. Mike and I decided to bring Colby home for lunch and a nap. He fell asleep until 3 so we didn't go to either picnic. We spent a quiet Memorial Day together. Mike and Colby took a nap and I read a book outside. We cooked chicken on the grill and just relaxed. What a hectic weekend.
Now coming up we have our second meeting with the social worker and a trip to Yale Adoption Clinic for a Developmental Assessment. I'm sure Colby is on track developmentally but I just want someone knowledgeable in the adoption world to check. So, much more to come. We also have a wedding to go to in June and a baby shower, both the same weekend. The wedding will be tough because it is about an hour and a half away, late afternoon, and we will be leaving Colby with my dad. We've left him for a couple hours before, but this will be most of the day and during bedtime. Yikes! I'm hoping to still have Mike's parents watch him for a couple hours before then so we can have a "date". Mike still owes me a birthday dinner. Maybe this weekend!
Colby enjoyed a ride on the tractor at Aunt Jackie's before his haircut.

Corbin and Colby waiting for the parade to start in Woodbury.

A quick ride on Morning Star. My little cowboy!

Checking out the firetrucks with Dad before the parade.
"I can drive right Mom?" Colby with Sunny.
Corbin and Colby taking the time for a photo op.

3 comments:

Malissa said...

Colby is the cutest little guy. I just love his smile. Sooo cute.

Laura said...

Sounds like a busy but fun weekend. I clicked on the last picture so it was enlarged -- wow, what gorgeous eyes Colby has!!!

Now I hope you get to collect on that birthday dinner! ;)

~Laura

Sharon and Patrick said...

Hey Melissa,
Love the pics. You guys were busy, making great memories.
I am ready to flip the calender to June. :)

Sharon