Russia

Russia
We went to Yekaterinburg

Monday, January 26, 2009

A Busy Week, Amazing Emails, and Almost Time To Go

Well, here it is Monday. We are planned to leave to bring Colby home on Wed night. That has been the plan for about a week and a half now. Is it Wed yet? This week has been one of the longest weeks ever. I thought waiting to get the news was difficult, this wait is even harder. I guess that is because we know we are seeing him REALLY soon but yet we need to wait still. Ugh!

I spent the week getting things organized and cleaned. Many loads of laundry, sippy cups and bottles and plates all washed. Colby's suitcase is all packed. I can't believe how much stuff we have for him. Maybe I've packed too much but it is hard to know. We'll have him for at least 4 days so we need to bring just about everything for him. Most stuff is too expensive to buy over there, except for diapers and some food. So we have everything else. Mike got his suitcase packed yesterday. It sure is different packing for winter in Siberia than it was for summer in Siberia. So, now today it is my turn to pack and make sure everything is organized. I also need to sit and wait for the FedEx man to bring our passports. They are on the truck ready for delivery so hopefully they are on their way. I don't want to wait all day.

This weekend Mike and I tore through the house and cleaned everything. We even pulled the stove out to clean behind it. I had already cleaned the washer and dryer during the week. (The washer and dryer are in the basement, where no one usually sees them.) I guess this is what people refer to as "nesting". Last night we had our parents over for dinner. We made home-made pizza and just enjoyed having company over. It was sort of our thank you for everything and our last dinner together before they become grandparents. I wanted to thank them somehow and a simple dinner will never be sufficient but it was nice to have them over. We should do it more often. Our parents have been so supportive and amazing through all of this. I'm not sure how we could do this without them. Their excitement and anticipation of having their grandson home has pulled us through many a rough moment. Mike and I can't thank them enough.

On another note, I was pleasantly surprised by an email I received last week. Jill is also adopting from Ekat and she was searching through adoption blogs and came across mine. Amazingly, her and her husband live right here in CT, about 20 minutes from us and are using Wide Horizons for their adoption. At the time, Jill was waiting to go for her first trip to Ekat. A Monday (today) phone call was planned to set their date of travel for later this week. Well, she received the phone call on Friday and are actually leaving TODAY! I can't believe it! I'm not sure how they got ready to leave so fast. Just getting the Russian Visas is difficult, not to mention the airplane tickets. Luckily our agency and the travel agency we both are using, cEventa, is wonderful and they are all set to go. I wish them a safe journey. Hopefully we will meet up with them in Ekat over the weekend.

So, here it is Monday. We leave Wed night, late. Mike's parents are bringing us to the airport. We are getting there.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Wow...nesting in overdrive! Sounds like the only last thing you have left is bringing your little boy home and starting your life together.

I feel your anticipation and hope you can update us from Russia. Of course I'll be checking daily...if not hourly!!

~Laura :)

Joy said...

I can not believe that it is not Wednesday yet either!! I can not wait to start nesting. I have to say I am still in shock.
Joy

Lindsey Carney said...

I am so excited for you and can't wait until you can post pics!! Praying for you as I know these days you are in are LLLOONNGGG and full of butterflies in the belly :)