We went to Yekaterinburg

Monday, July 7, 2008

Oh My Gosh! How Adorable!

Can there really be love at first sight? I wasn't sure until now, but now I know there is! We first met Colby on June 24th, a Tuesday, and I must say he is the most beautiful baby I have ever seen. Those big blue eyes and curly hair melted my heart right away. Mike and I were both very nervous about our first meeting. We had heard other stories about kids crying, screaming, or just sitting there with no expression. When the Director of the baby home brought out Colby, he looked like he had just woken up. We were told that they had just woken up and were fed lunch while we were talking over the medical information with the Director. The Director made sure he had a hat on and then went back inside. Our coordinator, Svetlana, stayed for a little while and then left to run a few errands. Mike and I were alone with Colby. We were a little surprised by that but I'm sure someone was checking on us now and then.

I held Colby first and all I could do was smother him in kisses and hugs. Looking at the pictures now, you can see from his expression in the early pictures that Colby wasn't sure what to think. I am sure that we all felt the same way. But it didn't take long for him to warm up to us and play with the toys we had brought for him. He loved going on the swing and the slide as well. I think Mike was also very nervous because we had been told that the children in the baby homes aren't used to men and that Colby might not want to go near him. That certainly wasn't the case. At one point Mike and I were passing Colby back and forth. One minute he would want me to hold him and then he would hold up his arms for Mike to hold him. It was very cute.

Our first visit seemed so short. I think it was about 3 hours but it seemed like 5 minutes. We had a nice time playing with Colby and taking pictures. We forgot to take some video so I wanted to make sure we took some on the next visit. We said goodbye to Colby and signed the paperwork to accept the referral. How could I say no to such a beautiful, loving child? Then we headed back on hour hour and a half drive back to the hotel. I was already looking forward to seeing Colby again. But we would have to wait until Thursday to come back. I wasn't sure what we would do on Wednesday but all I wanted was to go see my baby again.

No comments: